gold
Hactar
2010-09-15 14:53:25 UTC
We people invest in gold or silver do they generally have the actual
metal in their possesion, or do they just get a piece of paper saying
they own it? If they do have it is it in the form of coins, bars or
what?
My dad inherited half a dozen gold coins. Obviously he got the
real thing. But now he keeps talking about dumping tens of kilobucks
(a good fraction of his money) on early 20th C US gold coins. He'll
get those too.
--
-eben ***@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81

Q: Why do black holes never learn?
A: Because they're too dense. -- ZurkisPhreek on Fark
Greg Goss
2010-09-15 17:56:13 UTC
Post by Hactar
We people invest in gold or silver do they generally have the actual
metal in their possesion, or do they just get a piece of paper saying
they own it? If they do have it is it in the form of coins, bars or
what?
My dad inherited half a dozen gold coins. Obviously he got the
real thing. But now he keeps talking about dumping tens of kilobucks
(a good fraction of his money) on early 20th C US gold coins. He'll
get those too.
When the US government seized gold in the thirties, they exempted
collectible items and jewelry. Glen Beck is shilling for a company
that overcharges for collectible gold coins, and his endless promotion
of that company has made these coins fairly popular.

If your dad is planning on buying collectible coins from the company
that Beck's promoting tell him that he can get collectible coins
cheaper elsewhere.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
Hactar
2010-09-15 19:04:45 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many splendored thing )
[...]
I have no idea where he's intending to buy. He treats us like
mushrooms. Regardless of the source, I think it's a bad idea to spend
such a large fraction of your cash on one thing, and also to keep
something valuable in something easily broken into like that.
--
-eben ***@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
ARIES: The look on your face will be priceless when you find that 40lb
give a hickey to Meryl Streep. -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_
S. Checker
2010-09-20 18:52:25 UTC
Post by Hactar
My dad inherited half a dozen gold coins. Obviously he got the
real thing. But now he keeps talking about dumping tens of kilobucks
(a good fraction of his money) on early 20th C US gold coins. He'll
get those too.
Now?

What ever happened to "buy low?"
--
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
-- J. Springfield
plausible prose man
2010-09-20 19:36:43 UTC
Post by S. Checker
My dad inherited half a dozen gold coins.  Obviously he got the
real thing.  But now he keeps talking about dumping tens of kilobucks
(a good fraction of his money) on early 20th C US gold coins.  He'll
get those too.
Now?
What ever happened to "buy low?"
I don't know how to make it 1995 again, but I'm fairly confident the
government isn't going to start spending responsibly anytime soon.
Paul Madarasz
2010-09-20 20:51:54 UTC
Post by S. Checker
Post by Hactar
My dad inherited half a dozen gold coins. Obviously he got the
real thing. But now he keeps talking about dumping tens of kilobucks
(a good fraction of his money) on early 20th C US gold coins. He'll
get those too.
Now?
What ever happened to "buy low?"
Bi-Lo Supermarkets are still doing well in the Southeast.